Probate refers to the legal process in which a deceased’s assets are distributed amongst their beneficiaries or heirs.
The loss of a loved one is unquestionably one of the most stressful events in life. Unfortunately, the probate process can add to that stress. An experienced attorney can be instrumental to ensure that matter is handled professionally and with ease to you, taking the stress off of you and your loved ones. The Dowding, Dowding, Dowding and Urbom Law Office can assist in a variety of ways with the probate process, including:
- Determine whether the estate qualifies to avoid a full probate action, by being handled by what is commonly known as a “small estate affidavit” or by an Affidavit for Transfer of Property without Probate
- Assisting Personal Representatives: A Personal Representative is generally named by an individual in their will, or, in the event, there is no will, it is determined by Nebraska statute. There may be multiple personal representatives for an estate. Our firm will assist you with your responsibilities as a personal representative of an estate or trust and guide you through the legal process.
- Estate tax and Creditors: We help calculate the estate tax when the property is transferred from the deceased’s estate, identifying deductions and helping you avoid pitfalls. We also assist in the process of notifying creditors, in compliance with the probate code, to ensure the deceased’s debts are managed correctly.
- Will contests or will beneficiaries seeking representation: We advise potential will beneficiaries (heirs) on their rights in the legal process and can represent potential beneficiaries in legal proceedings concerning the estate in the event a will is contested.
- Breach of fiduciary duties: If you have been sued for breach of fiduciary duties, we can help.